Wednesday, November 10, 2010

To be Fathered

I have so many stories I want to tell, but they won't make sense until I finish the who, what, where, when and why of this adoption.  So bear with me. :)

So late one night, as I'm clicking through "Bringing Hope to the Children", Isaiah and Ruth pop up on my screen.  I KNOW I was in the China section, which now, just makes me smile because I see God's handiwork written throughout this entire journey. 
Before I even read their profile, I know I want to bring them home.  After I read their profile, I knew we were bringing them home.  This was their profile...

Isaiah and Ruth are siblings with an ability to remain strong and positive even when they don't have a lot to be happy about. Their mother is very young, unemployed, and lives in conditions described by authorities as "deplorable". Isaiah is currently in foster care, where he receives food and is sent to school. His teachers report he is doing well there and gets along with his peers. Ruth is still at "home" (calling it a home is a stretch) but their mother cannot care for her and understands that it is not a healthy environment for a child. Both children are healthy, with no known medical issues. They are both developmentally on target. Their country requires two trips (one week each), but is located in the Caribbean, so the distance is not too great. A two-parent family is required for this sibling pair since Isaiah has requested a father. These are two remarkable children...

"Isaiah has requested a father."  That is what got me.  A child who knows nothing of fathers but abandonment and abuse, had the courage to go before an adoption board and request a father.  A Father!  How did he even know to ask for one?!  Oh, that is the beauty of the story that God writes on our hearts!  It's the stuff fairy tales are made of.  But instead of a princess awaiting her prince, it's a little boy awaiting his father.  I'm totally getting ahead of myself here, but I have to share this picture with you. 


This is from the second day we spent with the children.  Isaiah has never been loved, accepted, or adored by a father.  And now he is being played with - by HIS FATHER!  This picture is what a dream looks like when it comes true.  I wish you could see his face.  I don't think he stopped smiling that entire day.  :)

So...a father.  Really, that's all he wants?  That is undeniably something we can offer.  It seems so simple really. 
And so with a captured heart, we proceeded...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...what a touching post. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile so big. I ache sometimes wishing everyone saw it like that. These kids are PRECIOUS blessing from God! I have seven children (four adopted blessings)...every single one of them a precious gift. Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete